Monday, February 14, 2011

Vintage Introduction Dress - COMPLETE!


WOW, it’s been a while, hasn’t it?  Sorry about that, last week was one of those crazy whirlwind types of weeks.   Fun, but at the same time I’m somewhat thankful they don’t happen too often.


On another note, I did find time to finish my Vintage Introduction Dress.  The dress pattern was very straightforward (lucky for me since the last page of instructions were missing).  I’m hooked on vintage patterns now.  I don’t know what it is about this dress, but it was an absolute pleasure to sew.  What a great ending to this year's winter wardrobe!  I will certainly also make a spring or summer dress using this pattern.


Other than taking it in a bit at the waist & bust, the only other revision I made was to add length (which I normally need in contemporary patterns).  Well, I added 3 inches to the length and ended up cutting off 5 before hemming the bottom.  I used the leftover fabric from the length to make the embellishment on the front.  I absolutely love making embellishments, but I’ve found I only make time for them if I enjoyed making the garment.  By “enjoyed” I mean if the fit and construction turn out well on the first attempt.  I can’t decide if this is due to me not wanting to mess up a challenging garment or due to a total lack of patience.

How often do you add embellishments to your garments?

12 comments:

  1. This dress turned out great. I really love the embellishment, it takes it to the next level and really makes the dress! It's something I keep meaning to do but sadly hardly ever get around to it! But I think that's just because it take's me ages to even finish a basic pattern that by the time I get to the end of it, I want to move onto the next project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous! I just love your color combo. I still haven't tried a vintage pattern yet, but it's on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Suzie - Thank you! I know, I only add the embellishments on the easy projects. Whether it's sewing or a project for work, I hate it when projects drag on forever! Still there are so many I want to try. Did you see the lace yolk tutorial on Colette Patterns blog yesterday? Amazing!

    @lizajane - Thank you so much! This is the first vintage pattern I've attempted, but after my experience with this dress I'd highly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great dress! You've done a fabulous job! Vintage patters are great, aren't they? I'm an embellishment queen - between fun buttons, ruffles, lace, and rhinestones, I do love to 'tart up' my self-sewn clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sara! I haven't had a ton of embellishment experience yet, but there's so many out there I'd love to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is inspiring! This dress is quite wonderful. I have only used lace so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Gabriela!

    Have you ever written a post about your lace embellishment? I'd love to see it! I love lace, but have always been a little intimidated by it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress is lovely! The color combo of green and yellow is striking, and the green is a beautiful shade all on its own. Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, saw your post on Sew Retro and just wanted to drop by and congratulate you on your wonderful vintage dress! Oh, and welcome to Sew Retro ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Meg the Grand - Thank you so much! I'm very lucky to have a huge fabric outlet nearby and this winter they had tons of wool in many different colors, which is where I found that yellow ("oxidized copper", a.k.a. green was from Mood). I hope I'm just as lucky with the fabric this spring!

    @Marie - Thank you, I'm very excited to be over at Sew Retro! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress! And the banner for your blog (I'm a first time visitor).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much, about the dress and my header. :)

    It's an illustration I made from combining the looks of several printed sheets and blankets I remember from childhood. Sort of a personal take on vintage, I guess.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete